Sunday 7 May 2017

I haven't had a bath in over a year




The life of a quadriplegic isn't all glamour and intrigue.

Have no fear though, for I am no unwashed neanderthal. However, one of the most frequent misconceptions people seem to have about life with a disability is that the most difficult thing about it is being wheelchair-bound, but there's much more to it than that.

As the title of this piece states, I haven't entered a bath for quite some time; this is because it came to the point when my cousin realised he could no longer safely lift me in and out of one on his own. Nevertheless; hygiene remains a daily necessity (of course) and so he built and varnished a wooden platform (pictured below) that slides over-top of the tub, which I could then transfer onto and have something more akin to a conventional shower.



Do I miss being submerged in warm water? Damn straight - particularly in the depths of winter - but as I said, having to use a wheelchair is just the beginning when it comes to the adaptions people like me have to deal with every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment