Wednesday 6 July 2016

The Ravens Watch: Part 3 (short story)

Just then, they passed an elderly caucasion man seated on a bench on the pavement. He wore a faded black fedora low over his misty grey eyes, along with a blue shirt, light-brown slacks and black loafers that were worn through to the soles of his feet. The man rose to his feet at their approach.
“Good afternoon, my young friends. I trust that both of you are well on this fine day?”
“Yes sir, we’re both just fine thanks.” Raff replied.
“Yes indeed.” Cassie agreed, with a bright and friendly smile.
“Splendid news, simply splendid!” The old man then began to shuffle a little where he stood.
“My friends, much as it pains me to do so, I must ask a small favour of you. You see, this old body,” he looked down at himself appraisingly, “it just isn’t as strong as it once was. My troubles are worsened by the fact that, for quite some years now, I’ve had no place to call my own.”
Raff could see the turn this conversation was taking and yet, he felt no impatience. Instead, what he found in his heart was genuine compassion for the man. While the old gentleman spoke, Raff glanced at Cassie, and could tell from her facial expression that she had similar feelings.
Reaching into his pocket, Raff’s fingers once again felt the cool, irregular surface of the harmonica, but this time, he reached a little further and pulled out a small wallet made of black leather.
“Alright mister. Now I don’t have much money either, but I can spare a little for you.” Raff took a twenty-galleon note from the billfold, stepped forward, and handed it to him.
“I can help out a little too,” Cassandra said.
From the little blue bag slung over her shoulder, she removed a matching purse and found another twenty. “I was just going to buy some makeup with this anyway,” she said, feeling somewhat ashamed.
As she handed him her contribution, the man took Cassandra’s hand and said, “Beauty such as yours requires no enhancement,” having said this, he released her hand.
“I am most grateful to you children for this act of kindness,” he made a gesture not unlike a bow.
“That’s okay.” Raff said.
“Please don’t waste it, alright?” Cassie added.
The old man shook his head slowly, “I can assure you that your generosity is not in vain.”
“That’s good to know,” she replied happily.
“Well, we’ve got to get going now, take care of yourself sir.”
“Certainly,” the old man said with a wide smile.

As the two walked on, they discussed the beggar.
“You know,” Cassie mused, “it’s really sad when someone gets stuck in a situation like that. I’m glad we could help him out a bit.”
Raff nodded. “I don’t mind giving up some spare money, if it’s for a good reason.”
He then began to watch as two young boys of perhaps nine or ten, a little further up the street, started throwing a ball to one another.
After a few moments of simply standing and watching the boys’ game, Raff heard Cassie softly say, “Raphael.”
He turned slowly. “How many times have I got to tell you---?”
The vagrant stood behind Cassandra, his expression hard and cold. His right arm was wrapped around her neck; his hand clutched the wide handle of a large switchblade with a long, serrated edge. When he registered what he was seeing, Raff felt a sudden, constricting wave of panic grip his throat. He struggled to keep his voice even and calm as he said, “What the hell are you doing man? We gave you what we could!”
He smiled cruelly, “Yes, thanks again.”
“Why are you threatening my friend then?”
The man’s expression changed from a smile to feigned shock. “A threat? No, not at all. This is just a tool to ensure that you give me what I want.”
 Raff was confused. “What do you mean? We gave you money, that’s enough, isn’t it?”
“Please sir,” Cassandra said shakily, “just drop the knife, let me go and walk away. We won’t even call the police.”
With a long sigh, he shook his head, “I’m afraid I can’t let you go. Not until your young man there gives me what I really want, that lovely harmonica he has. Why don’t you take it out, so I can have a good look at it?”

Reluctantly, Raphael retrieved it from his pocket. “I can’t give you this, it means a hell of a lot to my mother and me.”
The old man let out a peel of harsh, barking laughter. “Well then, the sentimental value should double its resale price. Listen boy, if I don’t get that thing quick, your girl here’s gonna get bloodstains all over her fancy shirt.”
“Okay, okay! Just don’t do anything. Here,” Raff threw the harmonica to the old man, but the throw had too much distance. As he stepped back to catch it, Cassandra sensed a chance. She swivelled her hips slightly and brought her right leg off the ground. In one fluid movement, she brought her foot back down, with all the force she could summon, on the point of his toe, while simultaneously driving her left elbow into his ribs.

As he stumbled back, Cassie lurched forward, out of his grasp. The blade caught her neck and opened up a deep cut on the right side. As she fell to her hands and knees, Raphael sprang into action. He quickly sidestepped past her and landed a right-left combination to the old thief’s jaw. After he fell, Raff knelt and struck the man’s now bleeding face with one more hard right to be sure that the he was knocked unconscious. He then took the switchblade, retracted it and shoved it into his empty back pocket.

Turning back to where Cassie had fallen, Raff could see the blood had begun to flow quickly from the nasty gash. At her side, he got to one knee. “I’ve got to get you out of here. Roll over so I can lift you.” On her back, Cassandra looked frightened and pale. He pulled off his shirt, lifted her head and tied it securely around her neck.
“To slow down the bleeding,” he answered her questioning eyes. He put one arm under her legs and the other at the base of her neck to support her head. On his feet once more, Raff said, “I’ll get you home, Cassie.”

With Cassie in his arms, Raff moved quickly down the street. At his approach, the two boys stopped throwing the ball and gawked at the wounded girl.
“What happened to her?” the older one asked.
“That old man back there tried to rob us, call the police.”
At this, the boys scurried inside and as he hurried onward toward number 511, Raff heard the boys calling for their mother.

On the front steps of Cassie’s building, Raff almost knocked over another resident, on her way out of the door. He asked the bewildered woman if she knew Cassie, the woman nodded and asked what had happened. Becoming frantic now, Raff yelled, “Just tell me which apartment she lives in!”
The woman stammered, “It’s 101. The first door to the left on the second floor.”

Raff rushed up the stairs and kicked the door open. Once inside, he found an extremely startled man with a sandwich in one hand and a TV remote in the other.    
“Are you Cassandra’s father?” he asked.
“Yeah, who did this to her?”
After carefully laying her on the couch where Peter had been sitting, Raff said, “I’m Raphael Davis, we were attacked by an old thief on our way here. You should call an ambulance, now.”

While paramedics stitched the wound and gave Cassie a mild sedative to combat the shock, Peter cornered Raff in the kitchen. In a deep, but panicked voice, he asked Raff who he was, and exactly how his daughter had been hurt.
“As I said before, my name is Raphael Davis. I met Cassie two weeks ago, we catch the same bus home from work every day, and we’re friends.”
“And if this thief is so old, how was he able to do this to Cassandra?
“He told us a sob-story and we both felt bad for him, so we gave him some money,” Raff retrieved his father’s harmonica from his pocket, “while we were walking the rest of the way here, I got distracted watching two kids playing catch. The thief came up behind Cassie and threatened to cut her throat if I didn’t give him this.” He put the harmonica on the table and looked uncertainly at Peter.
Peter dropped into one of the chairs behind the table, buried his face in his hands and let out a low groan. When he looked up again, there was anger in his eyes. “Why didn’t you just give it to him?”
Raff hung his head, “I threw it to him, but his switchblade caught Cassie’s neck as she pulled free. I took it from him.” He put the knife down next to the harmonica.
“If you’re her friend, why is my daughter the one who got hurt?” Peter shouted.
Just then, one of the paramedics entered the room and said, “Mr Phoenix, we’re done here. Cassandra will be fine, just let her rest for a while and make sure she’s careful with the stitches. Oh, she’s asking for the two of you.”
“Thanks for everything.” Peter said.
“All part of the job, sir.”

After the paramedics were gone, Peter knelt at Cassie’s side and held her hand, while Raff stood awkwardly in the doorway.
“How you doing, baby girl?”
“I’m a little jumpy, but I’ll be okay. I’m just glad Raff was there to protect me.”
“Protect you? As far as I can see, he’s the cause of this.” Peter said with a scornful glare.
Cassie touched a calming hand to her father’s cheek. “Hey, if he hadn’t been with me, the situation could’ve been a whole lot worse. You should be grateful.”
Raff shifted uncomfortably where he stood. “I’m just sorry about all this.”
“You should be.”
“That’s enough!” Cassie shouted, “He stopped that old man before he could do anything more to me, and if you want someone to blame, blame me. I’m the one that was dumb enough to fight with the guy.”
Raff walked toward the door, picked up his blood-stained shirt from the floor and said, “I think I should go, you don’t need this right now.”
“That would be best.” Peter said.
As he reached the door, Cassandra sat up, “Wait, please don’t leave yet, this wasn’t your fault.”
He looked back and said, “It’s okay Cassie, I get it. Maybe I’ll see you around sometime. Take care of that cut.”

As he walked down the hall toward the building’s entrance, Cassie’s call of, “Come back Raff, I want you here!” rang repeatedly in his ears long after he could no longer hear her voice. 

============================================================

[Come back next week for part 4.]

No comments:

Post a Comment