Wednesday 29 June 2016

The Ravens Watch: Part 2 (short story)

Just then, the intercom buzzed and his secretary, Dahlia’s voice sounded, “Excuse me sir, Miss Fox is here to see you.”
“You can send her in right now, Dahlia.”
A few moments later, a young woman with shoulder-length auburn hair and icy-blue eyes entered the room. Reclining slightly in his chair, Cruz let out a sigh of self-content, “Did you hear? Adams finally saw reason and accepted the deal.”
The ghost of a smirk played over her austere and calculating features, “It was really the only sound decision left to him. His alternatives were unemployment and poverty, at least this way the poor bastard and his brood won’t lose their home.”
“Could my cutthroat lieutenant be growing a conscience right before my eyes?”
Her smirk progressed into a maliciously toothy grin, “Hardly, his apparent lack of business acumen means little to me, but who do you think they’d have blamed if you’d completely destroyed the man? We don’t need to give the press another martyr.”
“The brain of an analytical engine, combined with the killer instinct of a shark, all packaged in a blue business suit and stilettos. One day, when only my name remains, you will become a true titan.”
“That may be so,” Tara said with a strangely feline smile, “but as for here and now, I think we deserve to celebrate your success.”
“Ours.” He corrected her.
 She rose from her seat, crossed to a cabinet and removed two crystal glasses and a large bottle of amber liquid. Pouring the brandy, she handed him one glass and took the other herself, “I prefer a well-shaken martini with plenty of olives, but beggars can’t be choosers.”
Gabriel stood and touched his glass to hers in a toast, “My dear, in all the time I’ve known you, not once have I thought of you as a beggar.”
“Well then Gabriel, we can both bask in the glow of this victory.”

A bus, moving through the city

T
he bus was nearing Raphael’s stop now, and despite the stirrings of a cramp in his right knee, he was pleased with how his day was going. He’d worked a decent shift at the docks, had a good breakfast and spent some time with his mother. Soon, he’d be home, where he could turn on the TV and fall right into his favourite chair. Of course, he couldn’t just vegetate for the rest of the night because he owed Rachel a nice dinner. Perhaps the best thing about this particular day was sitting in the last seat on the left. She was looking out of the window, much as Raff had done before she’d arrived. Except for the fact that she wasn’t at all interested in the world outside the bus.  Right at this moment, she wondered about the guy in the faded black jeans, boots and grey t-shirt. She had to admit that he looked really scruffy, but somehow that didn’t seem to matter. In fact, the look seemed to suit him, right down to the messy hair pulled back into a simple ponytail.

There was also the matter of the seat, or more specifically, the fact that she was sitting. Most of the guys she’d met in this city probably wouldn’t even think to give someone else their seat on a crowded bus, but this one had basically begged her to take his. Suddenly the bus came to a halt and she realised that he was getting off. She jumped to her feet so quickly that she almost fell backwards, righted herself and followed him off the bus and down onto the street. When he heard her footsteps approaching, Raphael turned and looked at her quizzically. “Should I be preparing to defend myself?”
The expression she gave him in answer was caught somewhere between a smirk and frown. “You more or less order me to take your seat, and then complain when I try to show my gratitude, what’s your deal?”
Raff fell into step with her, “If you want to thank me properly, tell me your name.”
“My name’s Cassandra Phoenix.”
“You’re named after two characters right out of ancient mythology, a fortune-teller and a majestic bird, how interesting.”
“Much obliged. What about you?”
He stopped, took her hand in his and shook it in a way that was both firm and gentle, “I’m Raphael Davis, happy to meet you.”
“Likewise. So Raphael, how does a guy who looks like he has absolutely no clue how to use a comb know anything about mythology?”
“Well first off, I’ve never had any complaints about my hair before, much less from a girl I just met on a bus. Second, everybody calls me Raff. I only hear my full name when my mom’s angry about something. As for the mythology, it made for great bedtime stories when I was growing up.”
Cassandra thought this over, “Funny, The Princess and the Pea always did it for me. Not a fan of the normal fairytales?”
Raff smirked, “My mom’s all about turning every situation into a learning experience.”

They walked along in each other’s silent company for a while longer, each one wondering what kind of impression they’d made upon the other. When Raff turned left and walked down the slightly smaller and shabbier side street which led to the apartment, Cassandra stopped following him, as he knew she eventually would. As far as he could guess, she’d gotten off the bus either a little too early, or a little late. This meant that she must like him, at least a little, which made him smile inwardly. He turned to see her watching him. She had an awkward smile on her face, as if she was unsure of how to say goodbye. I’ve found myself a real gem here, Raff thought. He walked back to where she was standing.
“Damn, I thought that if I kept quiet about it, you’d just follow me home.”  
The awkwardness faded from her face as she realised that he understood.
Her smile grew into a toothy and somewhat mischievous grin. “No such luck, but seeing as you’ve proven to me that chivalry isn’t quite dead yet, you do deserve a little something,” she lifted herself a few inches higher on her toes and pressed her lips lightly to his cheek. “Thanks for the seat, Raphael,”
Raff smiled and shook his head, “If I get to see you again, we’re gonna work on that.”
“Well today was my first day at a new job, so as long as you catch that bus, I’ll be there.”
“Well, I was about due for a lucky day and I guess this is it.”

In the days that followed, a relationship began to blossom between the two. Raff soon discovered that the new job Cassandra had mentioned the day they met was the position of assistant manager at a small clothing boutique in the city, called Clothes by Claudia. He now understood why Cassandra (or Cassie, as she preferred to be called) had an innate sense of style that made her sexy and yet still appropriately dressed for the business environment.

About two weeks after their first meeting, Cassandra felt safe enough with Raff to let him walk her home. She’d learned that they had a lot in common. Raff lived with his mother, as she did with her father, who’d been rendered incapable of working when he fell from scaffolding on a construction site and severely injured his neck. While the accident didn’t leave him paralysed, the doctor told him that he could risk no further injuries. Peter Phoenix now worked as the unofficial handyman for the apartment building in which he and Cassandra lived.

Perhaps the most important common thread shared by the two young people was that both of them had lost parents at a very young age. Cassie’s mother was taken from her and Peter by Leukaemia two months before her sixth birthday. When she shared this with Raff, she was horrified to learn that his father had died because of a senseless act of brutality only a few months later. It was this fact above all, which made Cassandra feel as though she shared a meaningful bond with Raphael.

On that day, Raphael was pleased to notice that Cassie’s home lay just two streets away from his own. As they walked from where they had exited the bus, Raff reached into the pocket of his jeans and extracted a small rectangular object that glinted like silver when it caught the afternoon sunlight. At first glance, Cassie thought it was a small jewellery box. She panicked a little, not sure if she could accept such a gift from him yet, then calmed as she realised that it was nothing of the sort. It was in fact, a harmonica with elaborate geometric designs cut into its finely polished surface.

“That’s a real beauty,” she said, “How long did it take you to put away enough money to get it?”
Raff began to trace his fingers over each of the patterns in an almost ritualistic manner. He smiled sadly and said, “I didn’t buy it, it belonged to my dad. Other than photos, it’s one of the only things we have left.”
Cassie closed the distance between them, took Raff’s hand and gave it a gentle squeeze. “I’m so sorry he was taken from your life like that.”
He gave her a quizzical look, “Life can’t have been any easier for you, you lost your mother way too early.”
She pondered this for a moment, “That’s true, but she had cancer, over the years, I’ve come to terms with that. I can’t imagine what it would be like to lose someone the way you and your mom did.”
Raphael wiped glistening eyes with the back of his free hand and mimicked Cassandra’s gesture. “When it comes down to it, life has to go on. I really don’t know what would’ve happened to me if my mom hadn’t found the strength to raise me on her own. I’ve heard terrible stories about this city’s foster-care system.”
Cassie smiled warmly and said in a gentle, almost whispering tone, “She sounds amazing, I’d really love to meet her.”
Raff smiled amusedly, “If that’s what you want, you can come over for dinner some night, soon I hope.”
“Sure. As for the harmonica, can you play it at all, or does it just live in your jeans?
Raff half scowled, half grinned, “You think I carry this just ‘cause it looks good?”

 They continued to wind their way casually through the few remaining streets before Cassandra’s apartment building and while they walked, they talked, made each other laugh and both enjoyed warmth and ease of the early afternoon.
As he’d said he could, Raff played his father’s harmonica, and played it well. He played Cassandra many different tunes. Some were soulful, with the same tone as those of old Blues songs. Most of them however, were up-tempo, with light and cheerful rhythms.

As he finished playing the tenth tune, she said, “This is it, Swallow’s Lane. My building’s number 511, one of the last ones on this street. “
“You know, it’s a pity that the drivers on the city bus-line won’t take us down the side streets. I haven’t seen any homes built along the main routes.”
Cassie rolled her eyes at him, “Come on now Raff, is a little walk in the afternoon so terrible?”
Raff smiled conspiratorially, “Not this one. I guess the company someone keeps really can affect their mood.”

Giggling a little, she curtsied and said, “Glad you see it that way.”

=====================================================

[Drop by next Wednesday for Part 3.]

No comments:

Post a Comment